Sunday, October 30, 2005

What scares authors?

Halloween---a day of fright and fun. But everyday can be scary for authors. What you say? What scares a writer? Have I got a litany for you! As an aspiring author, you're scared you'll never get published. No one but your mother will like your stories and those who do say they like them, you question. Do they really like it or, like your newborn who they say is cute, but tell everyone else it looks like a little old man, tell others your work is horrible? Then you work up the courage to submit to a publisher and get a full manuscript request from an editor. Now you fear the mail. Your hand trembles as you reach out to take in the mail and find a thick envelop containing a contract for your work. Now you're euphoric, calling everyone and announcing the sale. Once the list is finished, you begin to fear that someone put the wrong stuff in your envelope. They can't want you? Can they?
But it is reality and you are on the road to publishing. You work over the manuscript, making line edits and changes. Now your fear is that the mean old line editor has taken out your voice from you work. But it works and now you've reach the place where you have to submit advance reading copies for review. Will they like it? Or will your 'baby' be disparaged all over the internet? You hold your breathe when you receive an email subject heading "I just finished your book." Are they going to say nice things or hate you? But it is a rave reveiw!
They like me! They like me! Now you're scaring everyone with a bad Sally Field impersonation!
Fear sets in again when you think too hard about the good reviews and fan mail. Are they just being nice? Don't want to hurt my feelings? I'm not good. I can't write. I'll never sell another manuscript.
But, what do you know? You do! And the terror starts all over again.
It may not be blood and guts, pain and screams, (then again maybe it is), but it's a roller coaster ride and adrenalin rush with no comparison.
Bring on Halloween!
You can't scare me.
I'm an author.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dominiqua Douglas said...

That's it in a nutshell! I kept expecting someone to come up behind me and say, "Boo!"

Great post!

10/31/2005 6:39 AM  
Blogger Gwyneth Bolton said...

Kei,

You have really hit it! This is exactly how I feel as I wait for the publication of my first novel.

11/08/2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger Dyanne said...

And please don't forget th fear of, Will I ever be able to think of another story? Writing is indeed a very scary job, one that gives nightmares and ulcers. And we love it. Hmm which is a very scary thought

11/17/2005 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home