Friday, April 14, 2006

Hobbies and Work

Hello!
This is my first blog, so welcome to it! As time allows I'll probably come back and make this look better.

I'm sitting at home on my computer and I've taken the day off from work. I have a manuscript due at the end of the month for Silhouette Bombshell for a book tentatively titled, "Serial Avenger". Loved the idea when I started, but a lot of the fun has disappeared as the deadline looms. Something my husband once said to me really rings true. Think twice about turning your hobbies into jobs. It can take all the fun out of it.

My writing hobby, which I usually love becomes more like a chore when I have to stick to deadlines, write on demand (so I can meet a deadline), or make changes that alter what I really want to do with my work. Understand, if you write for a publisher other than yourself, some editing, changes, etc will be necessary and they need to know when you'll be done so they can put it on their schedule. These are things you don't have to worry about when you're writing for fun and your manuscript doesn't have to sell. I'm glad to be published and writing the books I like, but I sure miss those days of waiting for the writing muse to strike and not writing until it did.

Natalie

1 Comments:

Blogger Seressia said...

I totally understand what you're saying. Staring at that blinking cursor and knowing you have to put something on the page is a heck of a lot more daunting than just waiting for the mood or the muse to strike.

4/23/2006 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home