Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Honoring the Legacy by Living the Dream

In 1986, as a high school senior, I wrote an essay on the theme of “Living the Dream.” That essay, describing how the need to believe and achieve our dreams is part of what unites us, finalled in an essay contest celebrating the first national Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. I was invited to go to the King Center and read my essay, along with five other finalists from across the city.

I won.

That day, I realized the power of words to persuade, enlighten, to motivate, to change. The power of my words. I received a plaque and a certificate. I still have my certificate, signed by Coretta Scott King, framed and hanging in my office.

I will never forget that day. I will never forget the feeling of accomplishment, empowerment. I will never, ever, stop living the dream. It’s the least I can do to honor two people who have done so much for so many.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seressia,

I was just wondering how it was going on our group blog. I've been stuck on forgetting important things lately. I'm glad I made it over here. The site is looking wonderful and to have a memory like that of Mrs King. it's soemthing you'll always reemmber. It kind of makes me feel closer to her through knowing you. You're all doing a great job. Let me know when and what I'm to doa and I will do it. Things have been so crazy for me lately.

Dyanne Davis

2/23/2006 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay someone tell me why this won't let me blog without a password which of course I don't reemmber. I've been tryign for two weeks to sign Lisa's blog and it won't let me. And no Lisa it didn't say anonynoous but I'll try again

2/23/2006 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home